Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Give them Three Feet! - Bicycle Safety Laws in Tennessee


Posted by Daniel Clayton
While I was driving home Wednesday through Franklin, Tennessee, I came across multiple bicycle riders out near Arno Road.  I am somewhat jealous of bike riders – because that is a sport I would like to take up at some point in time.
The country roads around the area I live are prime places for the bike riders.  As a result, I have to be very diligent in making sure I am exercising care while driving.  Those bike riders have a right to be on those roads, and I fully support their right to be on the road.
I have had several friends who have been involved in serious bike accidents. Most bike accidents are not the fault of the bike rider, but by the automobile driver.
With the summer upon us, and more people riding bikes, I thought I would post some basic Tennessee bike law information.

three-feet law

In 2007, Tennessee passed a “three-feet” law, requiring automobiles to give cyclists three feet of space when passing them on highways. This became an issue as two men were killed in separate accidents on highways in the state in 2006.
Bicycles are considered vehicles just as automobiles are and, when necessary, may occupy an entire lane of traffic. Cars may not occupy the same lane of traffic if they cannot give the cyclist three feet of clearance space.
In 1994, Tennessee passed a law requiring the use of helmets for cyclists under the age of 16.
The Tennessee Department of Safety has a Bicycle/Pedestrian Program.  More information can be found on that website.
Read more at Trails.com: Bicycle Safety in Tennessee | Trails.com
Tags: Bike Accidents, Car Accidents

No comments:

Post a Comment